The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Kaduna Sector Command has set up a mobile court to deal with reckless drivers plying the Kaduna-Zaria highway currently being expanded by the Federal Government.
The highway has been recording fatal accidents on daily basis, and according to the Sector Commander, Hafiz Mohammed, the setting up of the mobile court was to restore sanity and curb the disturbing rate of accidents on the road.
Mohammed said in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kaduna on Wednesday that the ongoing construction of the road has necessitated multiple diversions in some sections of the road, causing heavy traffic and recurring accidents due to drivers’ impatience and recklessness.
READ ALSO:ASUU, NECA slam Buhari over ministerial list
He said that the mobile court would help to keep reckless and impatiet drivers in check, adding that any driver found violating traffic rule would be brought before the magistrate for prosecution.
“We have commenced the mobile court on July 19 and arraigned 32 drivers for various offences out of which 30 have been convicted by Magistrate Yunusa Labaran.
“Some of the offences include overloading, dangerous driving, driving without drivers’ licence, driving without vehicle papers, seat belt violation, tyres violation, windscreen violation and failure to install speed limiting device.
“In fact, one of the drivers, one Auwal Magaji driving a Golf Wagon with registration number BWR 124 KM, was detained at Rigachikun Police Station.
“He would be arraigned in court for attempting to abduct and cause harm to FRSC official on duty.”
Mohammed said that the offenders are being prosecuted under the provisions of the National Road Traffic Regulation and the Federal Road Safety Act, adding that the exercise would be sustained.
He disclosed that more road marshals and logistics had been deployed to address traffic challenges along the Kaduna-Zaria road.
“This has been addressed by deploying additional manpower in collaboration with the office of the Secretary to the State Government and the Coordinator of Operation Yaki.
READ ALSO:Ruga won’t happen in Edo State, says Gov. Obaseki
“Additional motorbikes have also been deployed to enhance patrol and vigilance to check the excesses of drivers,” he said.
The commander said the FRSC has envisaged heavy traffic flow through Kaduna to the North West, adding that the corps would take strategic steps to avoid heavy traffic build-up.
Mohammed explained that heavy traffic has a multiplier effect of generating impatience, which mostly leads to accidents.
“To prevent this, we would discuss with the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing and the contractor, Julius Berger, to open some sections of the road on specific days for free traffic flow.’’ (NAN)