The death toll of the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi, Lagos, has continued to mount.
As at Thursday morning, a total of 36 dead bodies had been pulled out of the rubble, as confirmed to newsmen by the Acting South-west Zonal Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, who added that the emergency operations were still ongoing.
Farinloye said the deceased comprised 33 males and three females.
READ ALSO: https://www.thexpressng.com/2021/11/04/nigerian-air-force-chief-in-uk-seeks-improved-collab-with-royal-air-force/
He also disclosed that nine persons were rescued from the tragic building.
Controversy has trailed approvals for the construction of such a highrise structure and if the proper checks were made.
The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has, however admitted that mistakes were made.
He was quoted as saying: “This is an event that one can say that indeed mistakes were made from all angles and this is an event that truly really shouldn’t be happening in a modern-day city like Lagos State.”
READ ALSO: https://www.thexpressng.com/2021/11/04/ex-president-jonathans-cousin-throws-weight-behind-recognition-of-local-gin-ogogoro/
The governor vowed to punish anyone found culpable in the tragedy.
Heads have already started to roll, as he promised, beginning with the indefinite suspension of the General Manager, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Gbolahan Oki.
“We would say that we had to take from the head, from the leadership of that agency. Be rest assured that if there are other people that are found in the course of the investigation, everybody will face the full wrath of the law,” Sanwo-Olu said.